Our New Hospital-By the Numbers
This past week we were on the construction site for the new hospital scoping out locations for our grand opening events (June, 2012 is right around the corner). We were also taping an amazing new commercial for the holiday season (which I’ll be telling you more about very soon).
It had been several weeks since I’d been in the new hospital and the transformation is amazing! Everywhere I went there were teams working. Landscapers are planting the final trees for the 6-acre park, concrete crews are putting in sidewalks and inside the building, and it’s a beehive of activity. Dozens of different companies and crews are all coordinating and orchestrating their work together. You can feel the excitement and their pride in the air as the building is coming together.
And this has been an immense effort. In fact, the largest pediatric expansion ever undertaken, anywhere! When our campus expansion is completed next year we will be the 2nd largest pediatric hospital and research campus in America!
Here are some amazing stats about our new hospital — by the numbers.
- Each floor in the 12-story hospital is the size of a football field
- The building features more than 675 miles of communication and electrical cables (long enough to run from here to the Atlantic Ocean!)
- Workers poured more than 33,000 cubic yards of concrete (enough for a 51-mile driveway)
- 57 miles of copper plumbing and gas pipe
- 800 tons of duct work and 6.4 miles of carbon-steel ventilation pipe
- 4,000 individual grills, registers and other ventilation devices
- 6,000 electrical outlets and 14,000 light fixtures
I’m going to be writing more about the new hospital. Let me know what questions you have and we’ll be sure to address them.