Behind the Scenes on Match Day
Friday, March 16th may be just another day for most of us but if you’re a medical student it’s one of the biggest days of the year. Today is Match Day, the day when medical students learn where they will continue their medical training as a resident.
At Nationwide Children’s this is a big day for us too because we learn who will fill our 2012 Residency class. A total of 44 physicians will be matched this year into our very competitive programs.
It’s all a very exciting process. Today, at medical schools around the country (including here at The Ohio State University) medical students will come together and be handed envelopes. In the envelope is a letter revealing the hospital and program where the student matched.
So how does the match work? It’s kind of like speed dating for medical students and hospital residency programs. During their final year of medical school, students interview with 8 to 15 different residency programs across the country. After all the interviews take place, students and programs rate each other. (1 is the top choice, 2 is 2ndand so on and so forth). Then, once all the national ranking is completed, a computer system matches up programs and students based on their reciprocal ratings.
It’s all kept tightly under wraps so neither student or hospital knows what the match results will be – until today!
Recruiting great residents is so important because we want to attract the best and brightest students here to Nationwide Children’s. We have one of the most competitive residency programs in the country with more than 400 students interviewing for just 44 spots.
Following residency these best-of-class physicians may stay here in Columbus to begin a practice in pediatrics or go on for fellowship as a pediatric specialist or enter the research field.
The new 2012 Nationwide Children’s Residents
- Jennifer Bachman – The University of Toledo College of Medicine
- Lauren Bader – Indiana University School of Medicine
- Kristen Benninger – The University of Toledo College of Medicine
- Rachel Campbell – University of Kentucky College of Medicine
- Lauren Carlyle – University at Buffalo State University of New York School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
- Tara Chumbris – Florida State University College of Medicine
- Emily Claybon – Ohio State University College of Medicine
- Andrew Dang – Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
- Elizabeth Demander – AT Still University of Health Scienses Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Ene Fairchild – Ohio State University College of Medicine
- Heather Flesher – West Virginia University School of Medicine Morgantown
- Teresa Giacomazzi – Ohio State University College of Medicine
- Jessica Hassell – Ohio State University College of Medicine
- Julie Javorek – Ohio State University College of Medicine
- Rena Kasick – Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine
- Ramya Keshavaram – Ohio State University College of Medicine
- Scott Leopold – University of Conneticut School of Medicine
- Traci Lynch – University of Cincinnati School of Medicine
- Amy Manzo – Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine
- Melissa Mullaney – Florida State University College of Medicine
- Jeffrey Naples – Kansas City University of Medicine & Biosciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Amy Peasley – West Virginia University School of Medicine Morgantown
- Andrew Rodenbarger – Indiana University School of Medicine
- Abdul Shahein – Ain Shams University
- Stephanie Tang – Ohio State University College of Medicine
- Michael Thompson – University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- Stephanie Toll – Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Marnie Wagner – The University of Toledo College of Medicine
- Ryan Whitt – Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine
- Jessica Wilson – Ohio State University College of Medicine
- Sarah Amoroso – Rocky Vista University School of Osteopathic Medicine
- LaQuita Jones – Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Ryan Turner – Touro University of Nevada College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Mary Frances Wedekind – Kansas City University of Medicine and Bioscience
- Justin Asquith – St Georges University Grenada
- E. Tyler Christian – Ohio State University
- Matthew Luzum – University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
- Eks Wye Pollock, IV – University of Oklahoma
- Sharon Santoso – Case Western Reserve
- James Dugan – University of Nevada
- Maroun Ghossein – University of Alabama
- Timothy McClung – Jefferson Medical College Philadelphia
- Revathi Ravi – Texas Tech University
- Kathryn Zedler – Virginia Commonwealth Richmond VA
Photos Courtesy of The Ohio State University Medical Center