Benefits of Massage Therapy for Children
For many, the word massage brings up an image of a serene spa with low lights and soft music; a luxury viewed as a guilty pleasure. However, did you know that massage has been proven to help with your child’s development?
Is your child…
- A musician?
- An athlete?
- An academic achiever?
- A teenager?
Does your child…
- Struggle in social situations?
- Suffer from a recent loss or life change?
- Have a physical condition such as diabetes or rheumatoid arthritis?
- Experience anxiety or depression?
- Have an eating or body image disorder?
Then they might benefit from massage therapy! Researchers studying massage all conclude that it is powerful.
How could massage therapy help my child?
- It is proven to increase dopamine (the feel good hormone) and decrease cortisol (the stress hormone). This helps regulate anxiety and stress levels that can become imbalanced due to social, family and academic pressures.
- Massage helps decrease muscle tension and increase range of motion, which assists in recovering from, or preventing, injuries.
- Massage can improve quality of sleep, provide more energy and increase concentration.
- You could potentially have happier, healthier kids around you. (Yes, even the teenagers!)
Your young ones are more active than ever, in mind and in body. Teaching them to manage stress and body awareness while they are young can help prevent a lifetime of chronic pain and poor habits. We only have one body. Give your children the gift of teaching them how to take care of it at a young age.
Massage therapy for kids and teens is available at the Heit Center in New Albany. Click here to learn more. Or, for an appointment, call (614) 685-1816.