13.1 Times around the Planet!
I was at my desk this morning – getting excited for the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Marathon and ½ Marathon this weekend- so I decided to crunch some numbers. 18,000 runners and walkers will hit the streets of Columbus on Sunday and when you combine all the steps (655,000,000) for all the miles (327,500) this amazing group of athletes will loop the planet just over 13.1 times! Their own global ½ marathon!!
Completing a marathon is an amazing personal feat but when you combine the impact of their efforts it’s truly astounding. I have learned so much about the running community as we’ve worked with the marathon leadership team to prepare for this event. These are amazing, dedicated people and they have big, generous hearts! I have received dozens of messages and personal stories of marathon participants reaching out to our miracle mile patient champions and we’ve shared many of those stories with you. This weekend we’ll be out along the course to capture behind the scenes stories and magical moments. You can follow along on Facebook, Twitter, or any of our social media channels and we’ll bring you a complete round-up on Monday.
Are you going to the marathon? It’s going to be a beautiful morning. Here’s your “don’t miss” check list!
1) Get your “Cheer Gear” ready! Noise makers, pom-poms and rally signs are the order of the day. Pick up today’s Columbus Dispatch for a special pre-race guide including a free “Rally sign” you can personalize.
2) Look for the Nationwide Children’s Champions running in their blue “Kids, Cures & Miracles Jerseys. There will be more than 800 champions on the course running to raise money for Nationwide Children’s. Give them a big cheer along with all the athletes running for special causes.
3) Get a high-five from the Children’s Champions – one for every mile of the marathon. There are some amazing surprises planned – you won’t want to miss it.
4) Celebrate the Bicentennial! To honor 200 Columbus the marathon is hosting athletes from our sister city in Dresden, Germany to run in the race. Concurrently, Dresden will welcome 20 of our athletes to participate in their marathon, half-marathon and 10K event, held on the same day.
5) Share special moments! Post your pictures and favorite moments on our Facebook page or twitter. We want to know “What Moves You” this weekend.
Good luck to all the Marathoner’s and THANK YOU to the Marathon Organizers, Sponsors, Patient champions and their families and EVERYONE who is supporting the first Nationwide Children’s Hospital Marathon and ½ Marathon!